Once your appliance is removed and we unveil your brand new smile, there is another phase of treatment that is just beginning. It’s called the retention phase. We will give you custom-made retainers to help you keep the results you’ve worked so hard for.
Do I need to wear a retainer?
Yes. It is absolutely crucial to wear retainers after orthodontic treatment. Otherwise, your teeth will naturally shift back towards their pre-treatment positions. If you want to keep your newly straightened smile, it’s important to follow the directions of your Specialist Orthodontist carefully.
You will be asked to wear your retainer full-time at first, and will be advised when you can switch to night-time only wear.
Types of retainers
We offer two types of retainers at Yorkshire Orthodontics: fixed retainers and removable retainers.
Fixed retainers are thin metal wires that are attached behind your front teeth. Your orthodontist will show you how to clean around the wire to keep your teeth healthy.
One benefit of fixed retainers is that you don’t need to worry about losing them or forgetting to wear them. They will always be there to hold your smile in place, and most patients quickly forget they are there at all.
Removable retainers are a bit like clear aligners but are a bit thicker and sturdier. They are still very discreet, so no one needs to know you are wearing them.
Removable retainers are custom-made to fit your new smile and hold everything in alignment. Just remember to take good care of your retainers, and follow the instructions of your Specialist Orthodontist for best results.
How to care for your removable retainer
To ensure your retainer works as intended, you should:
- Remove your retainer before brushing your teeth
- Clean your retainer gently before putting it back in
- Take your retainers out for eating and drinking.
- Put your retainers in their case whenever you take them out (this will help to prevent them from getting lost)
- Bringing your retainers with you to any after-care appointments
- Keep your retainers out of the heat (don’t place them in the sun, dishwasher or under hot water)
- Let our team know immediately if your retainers become lost or damaged
Keep your new smile for years to come
In order to receive your custom retainers, you must complete treatment with braces or clear aligners first! You can get started with an orthodontic consultation at any of our three locations.Book a consultation